While having cocktails, the last thing you’re probably thinking about is bar cleanliness. You can easily check out a bar and decide how to play it.
1. Are the garnishes fresh? Do the lemons and limes look bright and happy?
2. Are the juices fresh or out of a soda gun? Soda guns are fine, but aside from having more sugar, they also flow through a hose. As long as the hose is clean, it’s fine.
3. Does the space look clean? When you put your arm on the bar, did you feel a sticky sensation? Probably not a good sign.
4. Are there fruit flies? Fruit flies like anything sticky and moist. (Cleaned and wiped bottles and surfaces are their food source.) If you walk up to a bar and a tiny gang of fly guys tries to take your order… well, you know.
5. Check out the sink or dishwasher area. You know what’s acceptable. If you’re seeing someone else’s lipstick, get a new glass!